Monsters, Myth and Legend in Bomarzo’s Sacred Grove! (VIDEO)
“Who knows what evil lurks in the hearts of men? The Shadow knows!” ~ The Shadow
Have YOU Ever Experienced The 16th Century Sacred ‘Monster’ Grove of BOMARZO?!
The Sacro Bosco (‘Sacred Grove’), called the ‘Park of the MONSTERS’ in Italy, also named ‘Gardens of Bomarzo‘, is a Manieristic monumental complex located in Bomarzo, Italy.
Composed of a wooded park at the bottom of a valley where the castle of Orsini is, and populated by sculptures and small buildings divided among of the natural vegetation.
The park of Bomarzo was intended not to please, but to astonish, and like many Mannerist works of art, its symbolism is arcane: examples are a large sculpture of one of Hannibal’s war elephants, which mangles a Roman legionary, or the statue of Ceres lounging on the bare ground, with a vase of verdure perched on her head.
The many monstrous statues appear to be unconnected to any rational plan and appear to have been strewn almost randomly about the area, ‘sol per sfogare il Core’ (‘just to set the heart free’) as one inscription in the obelisks says..
(Did You Know? This ‘Home of MONSTERS’ was created in the 16th Century!)
Sculptures and Scenes depicted, include..* Pegasus, the winged horse
* Two sirens, probably Proserpina, wife of Pluto
* Orcus with its mouth wide open and on whose upper lip it is inscribed “All Thoughts Fly”
* A whale
* Two bears
* A dragon attacked by lions
* Proteus with weapons of Orsini
* Hannibal’s elephant catching a Roman legionary
* A turtle with a winged woman on its back
* A small theater of Nature
* A giant who brutally shreds a character
* A fountain called Pegasus
* A triton in a niche
* Two Ceres, sitting and standing
* A sleeping nymph
* The giant fruit, cones and basins
BUT! Is there hidden meaning in the connection between ALL of the MONSTERS, Heroes and Legends of Lore that are depicted at:
The Sacred Grove of Bomarzo? Strangeness to explore, indeed!