An Orange a Day Keeps the Doctor Away
We all know how important it is to eat lots of fruit and vegetables every day.
How many of us actually stick to this rule? We usually have very busy schedules and between school, office and work we tend to neglect our nutrition. However, If we want to feel well and have lots of energy, it is necessary to take care of our diet.
Apples, oranges, kiwis, pineapples and many other fruit can be an amazing way to achieve this. If we add them to our breakfast or any other meal, we give our body all the necessary nutrients and vitamins to feel strong and vitalized throughout the day. One of the most delicious and tasteful fruit among these is the orange. Let’s take a closer look!
- Orange is the third most popular flavor in the world after chocolate and vanilla
- The two most known varieties of oranges are Naval and Valencia
- In the times of Queen Victoria oranges were given as a Christmas gift
- During the 18th century sailors of the British Navy carried oranges on board to prevent scurvy
- In USA 25 billion oranges are produced each year
- Brazil is the country which exports the most oranges worldwide
- In USA the first orange trees were planted in Florida by the Spanish traveler Juan Ponce de Leon
Oranges have several health benefits. They are:
- Good for your immune system: a single orange can cover your daily need of vitamin C. Vitamin C strengthens your immune system and helps you recover faster from illnesses and infections
- Good for your skin: the older you become the more your skin suffers from free radicals. These are molecules produced by the body during a process called oxidation. Oranges are full of antioxidants which slow down the aging process and protect your skin
- Good for your eyes: oranges are rich in vitamins A, C and potassium which are necessary nutrients for your eyes
- Good for your heart: Oranges have flavonoids like esperidin which reduce the cholesterol levels and help keep the arteries clean.
- Prevent cancer: research indicates that the nutrient D – limonene contained in oranges helps prevent various kinds of cancer like lung cancer, breast cancer and skin cancer. Apart from that, oranges are full of vitamin C which boosts your immune system and helps you fight cancer cells
- Prevent constipation: oranges like most other fruit is rich in fiber. Fiber helps your intestine work properly and in this way prevents constipation.
- Prevent high blood pressure: the flavonoid hesperidin found in oranges helps regulate blood pressure and gives you a healthier cardiovascular system
Still not persuaded? Try to eat an orange a day and see how this can boost your energy and elevate your mood. You can also combine oranges with other fruit in fruit salads or fruit juices. Use your imagination and dive in the orange world!